Sunday, October 26, 2014

At Any Costume

Holy moly, it's almost Halloween!

As a dress-up devotee, this is the most wonderful time of the year for me. Though I will confess: I haven't actually been waiting for culturally-sanctioned holidays to indulge in disguises. Here's a taste of the random costumes I've donned over the summer...

David Lynch Party
I'm Audrey Horne and I get what I want. 

In June, Quincy and I attended a David Lynch-themed birthday party at Tacocracy.

I will readily confess that I've only ever watched the pilot of Twin Peaks, but I did not let my lack of Lynchian experience slow me down. A half hour of rigorous googling, and I chose Audrey Horne to impersonate.

Audrey HorneAudrey is ready for the #twinpeaks party!
That's right, I rocked the mock. Also, a fake mole.

Not bad, eh? I actually found a brunette wig but, after hacking at it with kitchen scissors, decided my own hair looked more convincing than a mangled plastic wig. The top and shoes were thrifted the day of the party, and will always have a special place in my heart for the St. Vincent de Paul in Newport, Kentucky, for having the perfect wool skirt just waiting for me.

Quincy was the one-armed man. I thought it was pretty good for something he put together in the car outside of the party.

IMG_134308771006390
The one leading to the many is Laura Palmer. Laura is the one.

There were a million great costumes, but these were my favorite. Natalie, on the right, was living Laura... Check out that extremely authentic "Best Friends" necklace. Theresa totally stole the show, however, with her dead Laura. She was truly wrapped in plastic! Amazeballs.

Anyway, back to me!

PicsArt_1405110847168
Maude squad

In July, I went to Lebowski Fest in Louisville, Kentucky as Maude Lebowski.

Unlike Twin Peaks, I have seen The Big Lebowski several times and love it. I snagged this green robe-looking-jacket at NVision for a song and wore a low-cut, push-up bathing suit underneath.

IMG959270
It just now occurred to me how hilarious it is that this guy is wearing a pager. Just now.

I was not able to go the night of the costume contest, so I didn't expect many other folks to be dressed up. There were several Dudes in attendance, however, and I have to guess that theirs was less of a costume than a lifestyle. The gentleman above was a total stranger, but how could I refuse this photo op?

Speaking of photo ops, I have several ideas for this Halloween, but I have yet to commit to one... Stay tuned!

No comments: