Monday, October 7, 2013

Aesthetic Absconder: Coal Miner's Daughter

Everyone! Let's dress like the characters in Coal Miner's Daughter.

Coal Miner's Daughter - Title

The film was made in 1980 and charts the life of Loretta Lynn from her birth in rural Kentucky in 1932 up to the decade of disco.

And while this picture, below, represents what immediately comes to mind when I think of this flick...

Coal Miner's Daughter - Neck Scarf Onstage

...My favorite fashions are featured in the first half of the film.

It's a 1980s interpretation of 1940s farm clothes.

Divine.

Coal Miner's Daughter - Green Sweater on Homesteade

Coal Miner's Daughter - Dance Auction

Coal Miner's Daughter - Plaid Coat

Coal Miner's Daughter - Wedding

Coal Miner's Daughter - Red Coat on Donkey

This last look is my particular favorite. With the different layers of stylistic history happening here, it's strange that this reads '90s to me. I mean, come on: a knit hat, thermal pants and boots? Totes Seattle, albeit via Butcher Holler.

And because I need something to do while I scarf this apple, I did a little shopping for you so that you can recreate it.

First, you need a beanie.

Urban Outfitters Beanie
BDG Cuffed Rib-Knit Beanie via Urban Outfitters, $19.00

This is a good topper if you want to recall the 1940s, keep your dome warm and/or look like a hipster.

Basically, it's all life goals in one hat.

Marni Print Dress
Marni Floral Print Elbow Sleeve Dress via Barney's Warehouse, $479

Alright. I scoured the internets trying to find a tan-ish yellow calico print dress that wasn't vintage and wasn't made of crappy fabric.

This beautiful number probably deviates more from little Loretta than I would have liked, but look at it. LOOK AT IT.

It's beautiful.

And now, for the coat.

J Cew Coat
Stadium-Cloth Cocoon Coat via J. Crew, $350

Ha-hah! Is this perfect or what? Also, it's a trendy color for fall and warm and beautifully-made and blah blah blah.

Who cares? It's perfect for impersonating a preteen Loretta Lynn!

And now, the thermals.

American Apparel Thermal Leggings
Baby Thermal Legging via American Apparel, $26

In the grand tradition of American Apparel ads, this photo creeps me the heck out. Ew. No one wants sexy thermal pants.

I suppose you could always just pick these up at the Wal-Mart.

And now, for the pièce de résistance.

Anthropologie Boots
Golden Winterthur Boots via Anthropologie, $150.00

Of course, you could buy any number of items from Anthro and dress up like an expensive cousin to Half Pint, but I like these boots because they're both beautiful and badass.

So, what do you think? Are you googling "tan-ish yellow calico print dress" right now to prove me wrong?

No comments: