Monday, October 29, 2012

Propitious Patricia

Today, I wear one of my favorite dresses.

DSC08530

I know, I say that all the time. But this dress has a story. It belonged to Patricia A. Corbett and I feel really lucky to own it.

patricia corbett.jpg
Patricia and her husband Ralph in 1982... She's obviously an awesome dresser!

Ms. Corbett, through her astounding generosity, laid the groundwork for the fantastic arts scene our esteemed area seems to enjoy. Through the Corbett Foundation, she gave millions to arts institutions including the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, Music Hall, Riverbend Music Center, the Cincinnati Opera, and the College Conservatory of Music at University of Cincinnati. Upon her death in 2008, she left more than $30 million to the arts.

What I'm trying to say is, Patricia Corbett was awesome.

And this was her dress!

DSC08529

In 2010, my awesome colleague Emily Buddeneck of NVISION organized Selections from the Collection of Patricia Corbett: A Vintage Designer Fashion Show. I jumped at the chance to walk the runway in some of the dresses Cincinnati's arts doyenne and, post-show, purchased this little number.

Corbett Fashion ShowDSC_0023
Fashion show photos by Jeanine Mullen Steele and my mom, respectively

For the catwalk, I wore it with the coordinating jacket and belt. I still have them but I never wear it all together. And no, I wasn't wearing white tights. Why do you ask? harhar...

Every time I wear this hefty and expertly designed item, I think of Ms. Corbett, queen of the Queen City's creative movement...

DSC08533

...And I feel lucky. Lucky to have this small article from a great woman and lucky to be a part of Cincinnati's arts scene.

dress - vintage Teal Traina dress suit via NVISION
pin - vintage/thrift
boots - Pop's Resale
boot scarf - vintage/gift

No comments: