Tuesday, July 16, 2013

30 in 30 by 30: Circle Line V 'Ghost Ship'

This is the eighth in my 30 in 30 by 30 series, wherein I undertake 30 adventures in 30 days before I turn 30 years old on Aug. 6.

Monday, I went in search of a ghost ship.

DSC02112
"Yoo hoo! Ghost ship!"

I say "went in search of" because I'm not really sure I saw this otherworldly vessel.

The Sachem, or Circle Line V, is a historic yacht that is half-submerged and rotting in a creek out in Petersburg. Built in 1902, the ship served in both world wars, hosted swanky folks, made an appearance in a Madonna video and eventually, was sailed from from the re-dedication of the Statute of Liberty in 1986 to Boone County, Kentucky, where it has done very little since.

The spooky sloop is atrophying in Taylor Creek, alongside Lawrenceburg Ferry Road.

Whether or not we actually saw this yacht is under debate because: the road/creek was overgrown (duh, it's July); I wasn't wearing appropriate hiking clothes (duh, I'm me); Mom and Dad were freaked out by the Deliverance-like setting (there are definitely reports of residents firing shotguns at nosy tourists): and I had a terrible and sudden case of gastrointestinal distress (I will elaborate no further).

I jumped around on the side of the road, claimed to see something through the vegetation, and Quincy took a picture of me. End of adventure.

DSC02110
If you see a boat in there, you're a better adventurer than I.

I totally want to come back once the underbrush is less overwhelming because this boat is apparently a sight to see. Plus, the drive to the outer reaches of rural Kentucky with my parents and my man was just lovely. Boone County is beautiful, y'all.

In the meantime, I highly recommend this fantastic Queen City Discovery blog post and this compelling Kentucky Enquirer article.

Catch you later, supernatural schooner!

No comments: